Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sunday's Squawk

Going on vacation is nice but it sure is wonderful to be back at my own home. I'm beginning to understand why it is so hard for older people to have to leave their homes when they are no longer able to do all the stuff they need to do. I had a wonderful time with the kids and grandkids but Gram does like to have her own quiet time.

I was disappointed when I got this side of Grand Rapids and I was seeing more snow in the woods and that the ice wasn't even beginning to let go around the edges. Down by the cities the ice is out a good 40 or 50 feet from the shore and the rest is black. Some of the smaller potholes the ice was gone. I saw a flock of about 30 Swans just north of Elk River. That was a beautiful site. I see we have some geese back here also. I've asked but so far no one has reported seeing a robin. I was really hoping that by the time I got back the snow would be gone in the yard and it would be drying up. Now I see from the Duluth Weather Service that we will be in a "Winter Storm Warning", from 7am Tuesday to 7am Wednesday with possible snow accumulations of 6 to 12 inches with snow falling at a rate of an inch or more an hour. Gee and I thought Spring was going to come. I really hope they are wrong about this snow or maybe it will change course and go south of us. They are brown, so they could use some.

Again, today driving home I saw some grouse on the road. Maybe this will be the year for the grouse hunters to have a great season.

I was going to go for a walk this afternoon when I got home but I didn't make it too far down the road and I decided my blood must have thinned out quite a bit while I was gone so I came back to the house and threw on another block of wood in the furnace. I knew I should of put those flannel lined jeans on again. BUT it felt so nice to wear the light clothing while I was gone.

I hope all that read this have been well and healthy while I was gone. I've had some nice emails from afar about the blog and how they appreciate being able to keep in contact with what is going on up in Squaw Lake. Pretty soon our snowbirds will be coming home for the summer. It will be nice to see all of you again. I hope if any of you have any news that you would like to share that you would email me. All of us up here wonder how everyone that is here in the summer are doing in the winter.

I saw a couple of deer in the Avenue of Pines today that looked to be in really nice shape. I saw quite a few tracks on the driveway also. It's nice to see them in such good shape.

I just talked to Judy and Dick Bertram tonight and as we were talking they had 8 cow elk come into their yard. They had some snow and rain out there but not as much as was predicted. Both are doing real well and talking about coming up this summer.

Well, I had better sign off and head for bed because I am sure when that alarm goes off at 5am tomorrow this old body will still be snoozing. I'm sure it will be hard to get up for a few days after having all of last week sleeping in.

Have a great day tomorrow,
Julie



No comments:

Post a Comment