Monday, August 31, 2009

Monday Squawk

Hope you all had a nice weekend. The weather was great. A little cold in the mornings but warmed up really nice.

Steph and I spent the weekend canning. She made dilly beans and I made high bush cranberry jelly, then we both worked on some hot vegetable mix which included cauliflower, peppers both sweet and hot,cucumber, onions and carrots. It looks good hope that when we try it in 6 weeks it tastes good also.

Not much happening around as far as I know. Hope this weekend is busy being that it is Labor Day weekend. It has been pretty quiet around.

Glen at Hoot & Holler is having a big weekend with drink specials, prizes and food on Saturday.

On Labor Day Monday will be the rubber ducky race in Squaw Lake.

I'm thinking winter is coming so am working on getting the wood in the basement. The boys worked last weekend and got quite a bit sawed up for me. Hopefully in the next week or so will have the basement full and then a pile outside next to the house covered up.

Tomorrow I am going to make some jam called Carrot Cake Jam. It is a pear jam flavored so that it tastes like carrot cake. I made some Carmel Apple butter earlier this summer and that was really good.

I'm a little worried about our pickled beets this year. It was a funny growing year so they didn't do very well and they have been high priced at the farmers market. Might be a slim year for pickled beets.

Hopefully, we will get Indian Summer this year since we didn't have many days of summer. I wouldn't mind nice weather until the middle of November.

Have any of you read the book Life With Arnie by Kathy Peterson. It is an entertaining book. It is for sale at the Mini Max Flea Market, Max Mini Store, and also First Week Boutique.

Today I had a visit from my old friend Lynne Hubert and girls from Bozeman, Montana. It was really nice to see them again. It is too bad that we all get involved in our lives and sometimes forget to keep in touch with others.

Well, a week from tomorrow and school starts and then I can start giving you a game report. I've seen a few deer around but not too many. Haven't seen many ducks in the ponds but there have been quite a few on Round Lake.

This weekend starts early goose season. Randy is overjoyed by this prospect. He loves to hunt geese and ducks. The geese have been coming into the field pretty regularly so maybe he will be able to get some. I'm going to try and smoke one this year.

I'm looking forward to this weekend. Steph said it is a weekend of fun no working. I'll go along with that but then next week I will have to get back into the swing of things.

The growing season has been so pitiful this year that I had to buy zucchini to make zucchini bread. I remember years ago when you had better lock your car if you didn't want it filled. Anyway I thought I would give you my recipe for zucchini bread.

Zucchini Bread

3 cups flour
1 tsp soda
1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 cups sugar
3 cups of grated zucchini ( not peeled)
1/2 cup. chopped nuts
1 cup craisins
1 tsp. salt
3 tsp. cinnamon
3 tsp. vanilla
1 cup oil
3 eggs


Sift together flour, salt, soda, cinnamon and baking powder. Beat eggs. Add sugar, vanilla, and oil, mix well. Stir in grated zucchini, add dry ingredients and blend. Stir in nuts and craisins, Bake in two greased bread pans (9 1/2 x 5 1/2 x 2 3/4 inches). Bake at 350 degrees for 60 - 70 minutes.

Hope you enjoy this.

Well, that all for now folks. Have a great week in case I get too busy to write.

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment