Saturday, May 16, 2009

Squawking

Is it May or November?? I can't believe that the weather is so unpredictable right now. Lots of stuff to get done outside and it is too cold and miserable to even think about working out there. I still haven't got the wood chips raked up and the grass is starting to grow up through it.

Mary and I have been busy on some things weather permitting. We got the rest of the wood pile split and put in the basement. Now we need someone to saw up some long ones and then we can finish that project.

I went and got pigs yesterday. I really feel sorry for the ones I put outside even tho I did build them a shelter out of hay bales and tarp but these pigs have been raised inside all their lives and now I throw them out in the cold. They were so funny when I let them out of the trailer and they would run and kick up their heels. One ran so hard and turned so fast he fell down and then rolled in the grass. Then they found the electric fence and they really jumped around when they touched that. The grass is quite tall in the pen so they were trying to eat it but they seemed to be only getting one blade of grass at a time. Then they would shake their head like what is this stuff.

Well, I've been hollering at my poor dog about digging this hole in the yard and last night I finally found out why she is digging. I have a ground hog burrow there. I will have to get that ole trapper Arnie Peterson to come show me how to trap that ground hog or there will be more holes in the yard. A broken leg I don't need.

Well, it was another night for the wood fire. I do have propane furnace also but when it keeps kicking on the $$$ signs run through my eyes so it spurs me on to going down stairs and fixing a fire. It was nice and toasty when the kids got up here last night.

I thought I was going to have fresh venison on the hood of my bus the other morning. It was really close even the kids in the front seat gasped. I have really been seeing alot of deer all the way around my route not just in the Gratten area but no fawns yet. I would think the average count on a morning is between 20 and 30 deer. Seems like they have made it through the winter in great shape.

The kids from the cities can't believe we don't have leaves yet. Their lilacs are just about ready to bloom and the tulips etc are just about done. I noticed last week when I was in the cities and came home that the leaves are out about Aikin south but not too much showing up up here.

Guess today is the day to get some of those inside projects done. One is we are going to make jalapeno jelly for the flea market. Then I had Steph pick up some habanero peppers also as I want to try a batch of that type of jelly so it will have a little more kick to it. Last week I made a pumpkin pecan butter and also a carmel apple butter that will be going to the flea market. It will be interesting to see if anyone likes the new additions.

I hope you all have a great weekend even if the weather isn't too great. Take care.

Hugs, Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment