Monday, September 7, 2009

Crab Apple Butter

Crab Apple Butter

Place a small glass plate in the freezer.


Pick your ripe crab apples and wash. I then cut the apple off the core and put in a pan. I almost cover the apples with water and bring to a boil and simmer until soft. Then I pour off the juice through a cheesecloth covered colander. I then run the cooked apple through a food mill. When I have all the apples done I measure how many cups of applesauce I have. Then I add the same amount of sugar and cinnamon to taste. I then put it back on the heat and cook until it comes to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook til it is becoming thick. Take your frozen plate out of the freezer and add a small amount of the apple butter on it. Move the plate around letting the apple butter run. In about 45 seconds you should see the apple butter becoming hard. If this sets up then the butter is ready to jar. Otherwise cook it some more and test again. When done ladle into clean hot jars and put hot lids and rings on the jars. Process in a boiling water bath 5 minutes for 1/2 pints and 10 minutes for pints. The apple juice you poured off can be made into apple jelly but that's another recipe.

Enjoy!! Really great on homemade bread.

Hope you are all in good health and spirits.

Take care,
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment